‘There… was no active shooter’ in Cincinnati

0
16


Update, 11:50 a.m.: All Princeton High School students are being dismissed for the day after an active shooter threat prompted a massive law enforcement response to the school building, according to Sharonville police.

The threat proved to be a hoax, police said, and all students are safe.

Police said students who take the bus will be picked up from the school and dropped off at their normal locations. Students who drive themselves to school will be able to access their cars and leave for the day.

Students who are normally picked up from school will be escorted to Vineyard Church at 11340 Century Circle Blvd., where parents can pick them up, police said.

There is still a heavy police presence at the high school, the department said, adding Princeton Middle School wasn’t affected by the incident.

‘Everyone is safe’: Video update from the Sharonville police after Princeton High School shooting hoax call

Sharonville Lt. Cordes told the Enquirer that “over a hundred” police officers from multiple jurisdictions, including Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Montgomery and Sharonville officers, as well as a S.W.A.T. team arrived after a hoax shooting call came in around 10:15 a.m. There was no threat present to students.

Despite social media rumors of injuries, Cordes confirmed that that “was not true” and that all “students were accounted for and everyone is safe.”

Princeton Schools: All students safe and accounted for amid ‘rash’ of school shooting, bombing threats

Update, 11:30 a.m.: Princeton Schools says that all students are safe and accounted for, adding the police response was prompted by a threat called in to the school district.

Parents wait near Princeton High School after reports of an incident at the school on Friday, September 23, 2022.

“There is and was no active shooter,” the district said in an automated call. The school district said there’s been a “rash” of threats against schools across the country.

USA TODAY found at least 30 active shooter false alarms and threats made at schools across the country just last week.

Authorities haven’t publicly said the incidents are related, but experts say these intentional false reports have similarities. Their origins can be difficult or impossible to trace, but waves of false alarms are often the work of disgruntled pranksters trying to disrupt school or malicious bad actors trying to sow fear. And such hoaxes seem to increase around this time of year with students returning to classrooms.