Woman a suspect in deaths of two children, ages 5 and 3

Lindsay Clancy, who remained in a Boston hospital Wednesday, was charged with two counts of murder, three counts of strangulation or suffocation, and three counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, according to Cruz and court records.

The district attorney offered condolences to the family.

“I cannot begin to fathom the pain, the depths of pain” they must be feeling, Cruz said.

Shortly after 6 p.m. Tuesday, police received a 911 call from a man who said a woman had jumped out the second-floor window of their Summer Street home in an attempted suicide. Cruz said Lindsay Clancy’s husband made the call.

Three children were found “unconscious, with obvious signs of trauma” inside the home, officials said. Cora and Dawson were pronounced dead at a hospital, while the infant boy was flown to Boston Tuesday night.

The state medical examiner’s office will conduct autopsies to determine how the children died. Findings will be made public when a death certificate is issued, according to the Office of Chief Medical Examiner.

On her Facebook page, Clancy said she works as a labor and delivery nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital, where officials confirmed she was employed.

“We are shocked and saddened to learn of this unthinkable tragedy,” the hospital said in a statement. “We extend our deepest sympathies to all those affected by these devastating events.”

A man dropped off flowers Wednesday in front of 47 Summer St. in Duxbury.David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

Clancy received her nursing license in 2014, according to state records. She holds a bachelor’s of science degree in nursing from the Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions.

She and Patrick Clancy were married in 2016 in Southington, Conn., according to an engagement announcement published in the Scituate Mariner newspaper.

She earned a biology degree from Quinnipiac University in 2012, the announcement said. Before that, she graduated in 2008 from Lyman Hall High School in Wallingford, Conn.

In her yearbook profile, Clancy, who was then named Lindsay Marie Musgrove, spoke warmly of her friends.

“I know it’s not perfect, but it’s life. Life is messy sometimes,” Clancy wrote. “No matter how hard you fight it, you fall. And it’s scary. Except there’s an upside to free falling. It’s the chance you give your friends to catch you.”

In 2018, the couple purchased their home at 47 Summer St. for $500,000, according to town records.

Online, Clancy appeared as a loving mother to her three young children.

Virtually every post on her Facebook page included a photo of one or more of her children. In 2019, she posted a photo of her daughter as the girl embraced her little brother.

“I feel like the luckiest mama in the whole wide world,” she wrote.

The next year, Clancy included several pictures of herself with her husband and their daughter and son. “So unbelievably thankful for this family and life,” the post read.

The most recent photo, from early November, showed a bright-eyed, laughing baby boy wearing a winter cap and a flannel shirt.

At their home, an SUV parked in the driveway had a “Baby on Board” sticker on the back. In the backyard behind a white picket fence was a swing set, a green slide, a soccer ball, and a toy wheelbarrow.

On Wednesday afternoon, Donna Jesse, who identified herself as the children’s aunt, and Rita Musgrove, who said she was their great-grandmother, were visibly emotional as they approached the house and left a bouquet of pink, red, and white roses alongside other flowers that people had left.

“They were beautiful, beautiful children,” Jesse said.

“It’s pretty shocking,” Musgrove said.

In a brief phone interview, Lindsay Clancy’s father-in-law, Christopher Clancy, declined to comment.

“We’re all heartbroken right now,” he said.

In Duxbury, an affluent suburb south of Boston, residents struggled to make sense of the terrible violence.

They’re “so young,” said Tom McGrath, who lives nearby and was walking his dog on Summer Street. “It’s very sad. It’s sort of like, how can this happen around here?”

McGrath offered his prayers for the family.

“Especially for the baby,” he said. “And prayers for what she was going through to actually do this.”

John Sullivan, a neighbor on Summer Street, said his son called him Tuesday to tell him “the mother was laying down in the backyard.”

When he arrived, he walked over to the home and saw first responders performing CPR on a baby.

“Right in the driveway, about 20 feet from the house,” he said.

Sullivan said he didn’t know his neighbors but never saw any signs of trouble from their house, whose yard is adjacent to his.

“The mother would be out there in the summer and spring, playing with the children,” he said. “I just don’t know how somebody could do that.”

Recorded radio transmissions posted on the website Broadcastify provided a wrenching account of what firefighters discovered when they arrived at the home.

“We’ve got three pediatric arrests,’’ a firefighter said.

“Three pediatric arrests,” the dispatcher responded. “We’ve got mutual aid on the way.”

The transmissions between firefighters gave a sense of the life-saving efforts they were undertaking.

“Cap,” a firefighter asked of the captain in command. “Can you get one of the cops to help us with compressions so we can do some other stuff.”

A few minutes later, first responders had placed the mother and her three children into four ambulances.

Earlier, a dispatcher reported that the woman had injured herself before jumping “off the top floor of the house” but was still conscious.

“It was over a 20-foot fall,” the dispatcher said. She sustained back injuries and neck lacerations.

At Wednesday’s briefing, Duxbury Fire Chief Rob Reardon said support services are being offered to emergency workers who responded to the home Tuesday night.

“Tragedies like these are always difficult to comprehend and process,” he said. “We may be left struggling with many emotions.”

St. Paul’s Church of the Nazarene on Summer Street opened its doors for those in need of pastoral support or “a place to pray for this family.”

Inside the church foyer, tables were set up with food and refreshments.

“We wanted to open our doors to make sure there was a place for first responders or people who needed prayer, or just a safe place, a quiet place, to contemplate things to be able to come and just reflect or talk to someone about the events that have just happened in our community,” said Rachel Pitot, a church volunteer.

Are you or someone you know in trouble? Or feeling alone? You’re not alone. You can reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by dialing or texting 988, or chatting 988 at 988lifeline.org. A call, chat, or text to that line will connect you with a local crisis center through the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline network. The American Foundation for suicide prevention has additional resources at https://afsp.org/get-help.

This is a developing story and will be updated. Danny McDonald, Jessica Bartlett, and John Ellement of the Globe Staff and Globe correspondent Nick Stoico contributed to this report.

Emily Sweeney can be reached at [email protected] Follow her on Twitter @emilysweeney and on Instagram @emilysweeney22. John Hilliard can be reached at [email protected] Travis Andersen can be reached at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.

Scroll to Top